The British Section welcomes around 60 new families each year, including around 15 Français Spécial (FS) families, and most are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the Lycée International system. To help families new to the British Section and associated host schools, the Parent Teacher Group (PTG) provides a Welcome Programme comprising:
- A guide compiled by fellow parents with useful information on the area, the Section and host schools
- A team of Welcome Coordinators
- Specific support for Français Spécial families
- Welcome picnics/goûters
- “Meet and Greet” welcome stand at the Sports Day & Welcome Picnic at the beginning of the school year
This support provided by the PTG has been developed over recent years to take account of the different types of assistance that might be useful to those families new to the School.
Journeys into the British Section are many and varied. Some families can arrive in the section as new residents in France, some with non-French speaking children in FS or the lower years in Primary, either full-time or externé. Others are returning to France after having spent a period of time abroad, or are moving to the area from another part of France. In addition, families might also join at the Fast-Track entry point in collège in Le Pecq and also at Seconde Accueil level on the main Lycée site. Regardless of the journey undertaken, however, most are unfamiliar with the intricacies that are specific to the Lycée International. There are always plenty of questions and some of the answers are provided by the PTG Welcome Guide or by the PTG Welcome Coordinators.
The Welcome Guide is compiled by fellow parents of the British Section aimed at helping with FAQs such as:
- Please can you explain how the Lycée lnternational works?! (What is an 'Externé'? what is 'Français Spécial'? What are the partner schools'?)
- Where do other families live? (What's the traffic like? How do you carpool? What are the public transport options?)
- How do my children join sports clubs?
- Where can we meet and get to know new people?
Rather than wait until September, the Welcome Coordinators are on hand over the summer to support new families with a helping hand with settling in. The Français Special (FS) team of welcome parent volunteers offer a particular welcome to the new FS students and their families with email and telephone support prior to the Rentrée, and arrange an informal chance to meet other new FS families and children before the first day of school. Similar get-togethers may be organised by the other host-schools co-ordinators. In addition, the Coordinators take care to explain the specificities of the Lycée International Open Day (Journée Portes Ouvertes) and new families are given a special welcome at the British Section Sports Day & Welcome Picnic held at the beginning of the school year.
Parents, click here for more information on the Welcome programme and the Welcome Guide.